Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Lemon Icebox Pie

It's time to bid summer adieu, and it couldn't leave fast enough for me!  But before I bust out the ol' pumpkin recipes, here's one last nod to hot, sunny weather.
Now before y'all go all crazy on me, yes, I used store bought graham crackers--which usually contain partially hydrogenated oils. However, the brand I buy contains only palm oil--which is high in saturated fat but contains no trans fat. Make sure you read your labels!
This recipe is so simple, it's silly. And it tastes like lemon ice cream--minus the fuss.

Lemon Icebox Pie

For the crust:
1 1/4 c graham cracker crumbs (if you use cinnamon graham crackers, omit sugar)
2 T sugar
3 T melted butter

For the filling:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 can Eagle Brand sweentened condensed milk
1/2 c lemon juice
1 Tbl vanilla
1 Tbl zest (optional)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Using a fork, combine crumbs, sugar (if using), and butter in a medium bowl until well mixed. Press mixture into bottoms and up sides of a 9" pie pan. I find it easier to use the bottom of a measuring cup to press my crumbs into place than fighting them with my fingers.
Bake 10 minutes.
Place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.



For the filling, beat the cream cheese and condensed milk until combined. Add lemon juice and mix until smooth. Stir in vanilla and zest and pour into prepared crust, smoothing the top with an off-set spatula.
Freeze overnight. I know, I know. Trust me, it's well worth the wait!


Next time I think I'll make my edges thinner, and maybe I'll add the zest. A little color never hurt anyone, right?

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment